The Affidavit Submitted to Canada Border Service Agency to Support the Tamil Boat People

***amended and unclassified***

I, Kagusthan Ariaratnam (also known as Murali) of the city of Montreal, in the province of Quebec, MAKE OATH AND SAY AS FOLLOWS:

  1. I am a Canadian citizen of Tamil nationality. I am married and have three children who were born in Canada. Canadian authorities knew of my background entirely before I became a Canadian citizen.
  2. I have worked for many years with several international intelligence agencies in a substantial capacity. The organizations I worked for are the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), India’s Foreign Intelligence Agency known as the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), the Directorate of Military Intelligence (DMI) of Sri Lanka, the Canadian Security Intelligence Services (CSIS), and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). I have worked with many organizations and individuals as an intelligence officer, consultant, and informant. Professor Rohan Gunaratna is one of the individuals I have worked with since 1996. As such, I have knowledge of the matters hereinafter set out. Where I provide information provided to me by others, I indicate the source of information and believe it to be true.
  3. I was born to a Tamil family in Jaffna, Sri Lanka, on August 23, 1973. I attended elementary and high school in Jaffna. I was two years short of completing my schooling at the high school level when, in 1991, at only 17 years old, I was forced to work for the Students Organization of Liberation Tigers (SOLT). I was born into a family with three younger brothers, and since I was the eldest, I had no choice but to join. Otherwise, my younger brothers would have faced hardships.
  4. One year later, during a camp raid, a group of SOLT members, including myself, was forcibly recruited to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)’s military wing. After six months of basic military training, I was sent to the LTTE‘s Military Office (MO) for a three-month academic training program. Afterward, I was chosen to join the Military Intelligence Unit of LTTE.
  5. In 1993, after completing one year of the intelligence training program, which included intelligence gathering, intelligence analysis, agent recruitment, handling, and exploitation on a national level, I was appointed as the Naval Intelligence Officer of the LTTE, in charge of intelligence for Sea Tigers and Air Tigers.
  6. Between 1992-95, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), the foreign intelligence agency of India, was involved in a covert operation within the LTTE to eliminate Prabhakaran following the assassination of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.  RAW was able to infiltrate the LTTE and indoctrinate the deputy LTTE leader to work as a mole.  They also sent former LTTE cadres in India back to Sri Lanka to enter the LTTE with the cover story that they broke out of prison. In 1993, one such cadre, Srinivasan, in the “Sea Tigers” unit, approached me and blackmailed me into working for RAW as an informant. Because of my circumstances and the nature of the blackmail, I had no choice but to work for them. I worked as an informant for the RAW from 1993 to 1995.  
  7. It took one year for the LTTE’s intelligence to find out about RAW’s operation within the LTTE. Between 1993 and 1994, the internal security division of the LTTE discovered and captured almost all of the RAW officers, spies, and informants (the RAW ring) who had infiltrated the LTTE, about 500 people.  I was not discovered. However, after the mass arrests, I confessed my involvement with the RAW.
  8. In 1995, the LTTE leadership, on the orders of Prabhakaran, decided to assign me to spy on the Government of Sri Lanka for the LTTE. During that time, we had intelligence that the Sri Lankan military and RAW were planning a major military operation to capture the Jaffna peninsula and that we would not be able to defend it. Therefore, the LTTE had to rethink its strategy to achieve its goal. There was a shift in LTTE’s strategy as a result. I had to infiltrate the Sri Lankan Army. This would require giving away all the information I knew. At the meeting where this decision was made, Thinesh Master, advisor to the head of the LTTE, also added me to the “Black Tigers” list – a highly secretive suicide squadron of the LTTE intelligence wing. I agreed.
  9. I surrendered to the Sri Lankan security forces in June 1995. As predicted, the Sri Lankan Army launched a massive military operation to recapture the Jaffna peninsula called “Operation Riviresa.” The information I provided was used in the process. I closely worked with the Overall Operation Commander (OOC) General Rohan Daluwatte, his Joint Operation Commander (JOC) General Sri Lal Weerasoorya, and the divisional commanders, including Brigadier Janaka Perera, Brigadier Neil Dias and Brigadier P.A. Karunathilaka as well as the officers from the directorate of military intelligence of Sri Lanka. Later, I also helped them when the LTTE intelligence infiltrated the peninsula to collapse the civil administration by arresting a suicide squadron with explosive body suits.
  10. During this operation, I was introduced to Professor Rohan Gunaratna by the Sri Lankan military intelligence officers known as Brigadier A.R. Zacky and Brigadier A.S.M. Zaheer, now a Major General. I had been working with them from the day I surrendered to the Sri Lankan Army until my release in September 1997. I am code-named, by the Directorate of Military Intelligence of Sri Lanka (DMI), as “05”. This is how they address me in all communications, even now.
  11. Upon my release, the DMI also arranged a Sri Lankan passport, identity card, and birth certificate for me and provided me with some funds. I came to Canada in September 1997 and have lived here ever since. My travel arrangements to Canada were made by the DMI with a long-term plan so that I would continue working for them.  The DMI sent me to Canada as a refugee with the help and advice of Prof. Gunaratna, who advised the then deputy director of military intelligence of Sri Lanka, Brigadier Zacky, who let me go to Canada and later act as an operative for them.
  12. In the summer of 1999, Prof. Gunaratna visited me in Montreal on behalf of the Directorate of Foreign Intelligence (DFI) of Sri Lanka to be operative for them. They wanted information on several issues. He put me in contact with two other operatives, Mohan Samarasinghe and Mahinda Gunasekara. I worked for DFI up to 2002. In 2001, I sent a letter to Prof. Gunaratna saying I no longer wanted to work for them, as I was afraid. Shortly after this, CSIS was notified of my past membership in the LTTE.  I continued to work with Prof. Gunaratna and the DFI until the Sri Lankan civil war ended in May 2009.
  13. Since I moved to Canada, Prof. Gunaratna has visited me twice. I have also seen him twice at his request in Singapore. I did not have a valid passport for my travels; Prof. Gunaratna made arrangements with the Sri Lankan High Commission in Canada to obtain these documents. I worked with him by email, telephone, and fax. I have also been in regular contact with the officials of the DFI. I have provided some documents to the Toronto-based law firm Jackman & Associates and authorized them to release those documents if they deem them necessary. From my experience working with Prof. Gunaratna, I know he is an intermediary for DFI. I believe he is on the payroll of the Sri Lankan government. Over the years, he has made threats and promises to me on behalf of the Sri Lankan Military. There were instances where he intervened and had the Sri Lankan officials render services for me that they would only sometimes provide.
  14. In Canada, I have also cooperated with CSIS and the RCMP and provided information to them on many occasions. The CSIS officers I have worked with and provided information to include Leema Kilo, Charlie Mike, and Indiana Yanky.
  15. I also worked with several RCMP officers.  RCMP officer Staff Sergeant Fox Bravo, who worked on Tamil issues in Canada, was introduced to me by Prof. Rohan Gunaratna. Sergeant Bravo is a close associate of Prof. Gunaratna. Prof. Gunaratna introduced me to Sergeant Bravo when I visited him in Singapore in October 2003. On that visit, Prof. Gunaratna phoned Sergeant Bravo and told him that I would help him in his fight against terrorism and then handed the phone to me to speak with Sergeant Bravo from Singapore on his cell phone.  I started working with Sergeant Bravo when I returned to Canada. Sergeant Bravo put me in contact with RCMP officers in Montreal whom I also worked.
  16. Prof. Gunaratna introduced me to other individuals in Canada who have close relationships with the Sir Lankan Military.
  17. I swear this affidavit is to be accurate and made for no improper purpose.

SWORN BEFORE ME in the City of Montreal, Province of Quebec, this 19th November 2009.                                       


A Commissioner, etc.

Featured image: CTV News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s